Seven inexpensive ways to save energy this winter
We’re mid-way through October here in the Hudson Valley, and although we haven’t seen much of it yet, cooler weather is no doubt on the way.
For many people, that cooler weather will mean higher energy bills. But with a little planning and some simple changes in your lifestyle, you can keep those bills as low as possible in the months ahead.
Here are free or nearly free ways to help you save energy this winter.
- Learn how to use your programmable thermostat – Use your programmable thermostat properly and you could save as much as 10 percent on your heating bill, says the U.S. Department of Energy.
- Seal air leaks – Keeping cold air out and warm air in will save you plenty over the course of a long Hudson Valley winter. For a minimal investment in caulk, weatherstripping, and door sweeps, you can keep air leaks at bay. Insulation – especially in your attic – is a great bang-for-the-buck energy saver, too.
- Clean your HVAC filters – If you have a forced air system (one with vents rather than radiators or baseboards), clean filters will protect your furnace from overwork; that means lower bills and less maintenance for your equipment. Check your filters once a month in the winter months (especially if you have furry pets), cleaning or replacing them as needed.
- Insulate water pipes – Minimize hot water heat loss by insulating hot water pipes in unconditioned areas of your home, including attics, basements, and crawl spaces.
- Take advantage of the sun – Keep curtains and shades open so your home will absorb solar heat during the day, then keep that heat from escaping by closing them at night. Window treatments can help manage solar energy throughout the year.
- Close your fireplace damper – An open fireplace damper is like an open window; close it when you’re not using your hearth.
- Keep vents and baseboards clear – Move any furniture, drapery or rugs that keep heat from circulating into the room.
Be smart, stay warm, and save money this heating season with these energy saving tips. Want another smart tip? Save money on heating oil with discounts from Valley Oil! Schedule your delivery today so you’ll be ready for any weather.